Question

Espiride for stress and anxiety
Some time ago I was prescribed Espiride to help me cope with short bouts of extreme work related stress and associated anxiety. Coming slowly back into "normal" working conditions after a long hiatus due to Covid I feel I really need something to help me get back into professional life. I believe this medication is somewhat outdated and ineffective and have found it to have little if any effect on me. What alternatives do I have and how should I go about finding a doctor who can effectively prescribe these? I cannot afford to see a psychiatrist.

Hello Jim,
Well, Espiride is indeed an odd drug which has been around a long time, though not used at all in some other major countries.  It was originally used as an anti-psychotic treatment in schizophrenia, in higher doses, and later in lower doses for all sorts of reasons. But it is not an antidepressant, or an authentic treatment for anxiety.  It's interesting that you report you have noticed little if any benefit from taking it.
I understand the stressful situation you describe, but there really is no drug for " getting back into professional life".  Generally, where real problems and stresses in life are found challenging, I find it more useful to see a psychologist or counsellor to talk about the issues, and to find better ways of working with the difficulties,  rather than adding chemicals which can have annoying side-effects and can change one's concentration, memory, etc., which is rarely what one desires.