Question

27 Oct 2020

Expert advise required on Dopaquel please.
Good morning, my GP informed me that my Dopaquel (100mg) caused me to gain weight. I am currently on the following meds: Navalpro (500mg); Epleptin (400mg); Dopoquel (100mg) and Zolnoxs (10mg). I am wanting to stop using Dopaquel immediately, hoping that Zolnoxs will ensure that my sleeping patterns not change, your advice, please?
Depression expert
Depression expert

28 Oct

Hi, That's quite a group of drugs you  are on. A first puzzle for me, is why you are on them at all, as you don't mention that : what condition or conditions have been diagnosed, leading your doctor to decide you need to take these medicines.  Most of what you mention are drugs which can be used to treat epilepsy, or Bipolar Disorder, and not generally used for more minor conditions.
Dopaquel is  a trade name for Quetiapine, Navalpro is a trade name for Valproate, and Epileptin is a trade name for Phenytoin. Each may, in some people, help to cause weight gain, though not in everyone who takes them.
I would not use or ordinarily recommend any of them for insomnia ; except for the Zolnox ( Zolpidem ) which is specifically a night sedative, designed to be likely to wear off before morning, to avoid having you wake groggy.
You will need to discuss this with the doctor treating you. As a general rule it is never a good idea to suddenly stop taking any drug with sedative effects, as this can lead to unpleasant withdrawal symptoms : they need to be withdrawn gradually, with a planned reduction of dose.  I'm sure your doctor will advise you, if and when you decide together to stop any of these meds, how best to reduce them when stopping them.