Question

03 Apr

Persivate
I am trying to stop using persivate on my face but I am breaking out so I keep on going back to it because of the breakout. I was using persivate for the last 2 weeks for my acne problem on my face. Now really need a professional help, please tell me what should I replace the persivate with. I really need something that can help me prevent the break out and the redness spots and also dark spots please! Help me!!
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

09 Apr

Thank you for the question.

Persivate ointment is a steroid based topical product that is typically used for allergic type skin rashes such as eczema and dermatitis. It can also be prescribed for some inflammatory skin conditions. My advice would be to not use Persivate as part of your acne skincare regime.

Your best option would be to see a dermatologist when the lockdown is officially over. Once the dermatologist has examined your skin and the acne they can decide if you need medical treatments such as long-term antibiotics, or oral contraceptive (if you are female) or Roaccutane.

You should also consider an effective acne specific skincare regime.

It is important to use an acne specific SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide (sunscreen indicated for oily and/or acne skin). This will prevent dark marks from developing due to sun exposure. I would also practice sun avoidance as much as possible: use a hat and/or umbrella when needed. 

There are multiple products that will help calm skin that is breakout prone and will minimise acne lesions.

Ingredients to look out for is salicylic acid and retinol.

In our practice we have had good feedback with the Lamelle Clarity Range and with the NeoStrata Refine range. From either of these ranges I would suggest a cleanser (used twice daily) and a day time and a night time moisturiser.

If you go with the Lamelle range I would also add the Acnevelle tablets which will help with the acne breakouts.

Please note that using a topical regime will take time before results become visible so you should start seeing an improvement within 4 to 6 weeks of use.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic