Question

15 May

Is it safe to use Kojic Acid Soap while on Isotretinoin (10MG)?
I'm still on Isotretinoin 10 mg although I have no pimples anymore. Ii do have dark spots and my face skin tone is darker than my chest's. Lumiderm was recommended to fade out my spots but it isn't working :( I also want the skin tone of my face to match my chest's so I'm really considering using kojic acid soap.
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

21 May

Hi Samantha, thank you for the questions.

It should be fine to use the kojic acid soap while you are on the Roaccutane 10mg however please note that everyone’s skin reacts differently. So your best option would be to test it out and if any sensitivity develops to immediately stop using the kojic acid soap.

It is also a good idea to use a daily sunscreen SPF 30 or higher specific for oily/acne skin that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Other considerations is to add a vitamin C based serum to your skincare regime to help lighten the marks. There are multiple brands that supply vitamin C serums and you can have a look at the following link as a guideline: https://skinmiles.com/shop/product-type/vitamin-c/.

The dark marks are most probably post inflammatory hyperpigmentation caused by the acne and breakouts. These can be difficult to treat, and one may only be able to improve or lighten them with a topical skin regime. Once you are off the Roaccutane and they have not lightened enough with the addition of sunscreen and vitamin C one may have to consider IPL (intense pulse light) or chemical peels.

I hope the above has helped but let me know if you need any further info.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic