Question

09 May

Starting a retinoid
I want to introduce a retinoid into my skincare. I just purchased the La Roche Posay Effaclar Adapelene 0.1% Gel. I've never used any type of retinoid before. Is it okay to start using this product once a week, at night, and then gradually apply it more frequently?
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

16 May

Thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay in my response.

It is a good idea to introduce any vitamin A or retinol based product gradually into your skincare regime. This will allow your skin to acclimatise to the vitamin A.

My recommendation would be to start applying once a week for 2 weeks, then twice weekly for 2 weeks, then 3 times weekly and so on until your skin can tolerate nightly applications.

If your skin starts to feel sensitive then please stop the LRP Effaclar Adapalene and wait for the skin to calm down and then restart the slow introduction.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic