Question

03 Nov

TTC with PCOS
HI, I am 27years old and was diagnosed with PCOS early this year. As much as I respect the Gynae who diagnosed me I still feel uncertain about this whole diagnosis because of how she handled the entire consultation. I understand that for a proper PCOS diagnosis blood tests are essential to determine things like fasting glucose, FSH and LH but all she did with me was an U/S, asked a few questions (menstrual history, weight issues, family history of diabetes) and that was it. She then prescribed metformin 500 once a day and birth control and basically told me to go home and lose weight. I have managed to turn my lifestyle around and lost 12kg and currently at a normal BMI (66kg @165cm). I have since been reading up a lot about PCOS and I have discovered that one can have PCOS and not be insulin resistant, in this case it would be pointless to take metformin. How true is this? Would you recommend I seek a second opinion and ask for some blood tests to get a clear picture of my PCOS? or is what was initially done adequate to diagnose and conclude on the type of treatment? Lastly, my husband and I feel we are ready to start TTC. I have just stopped the birth control but still taking metformin. How safe is it to take metformin in pregnancy? Thank you.
Women's Health
Womens Health expert

09 Nov

The best thing to do is for you to go and get a second opinion. The blood tests are important so those definitely have to be done. The gynae shall be able to advise further with regards to TTC trying to conceive and of course Metformin. Well done on the weight loss and all the best with TTC!