Question

23 Apr 2006

a BOOST!
hi.
i need to understand why i'm always so nervous. or maybe why isn't important? i was a jumpy "hyper-active" kid and grew up being highly strung. i'm now 21 and whoever i meet at some point will say 'chill' or 'relax' or 'why are you so nervous?' (ok not EVERYONE says it.. but too many to ignore)

i didnt realize i'm nervous.. there was a time i quit school and went back - going back was tough since i was out of it for an entire year. i failed a subject for the first time in the first term of being back at school and then i screwed up a speech (blanked out.. even on my 2nd chance) and ever since then have been - a bit overly terrified of any limelight activity. so now i'm at college and its coming in the way of my progress because i'm so scared of messing up. my heart beats too fast and my face becomes flushed and i perspire and even feel faint if i need to do something like speak in front of the class or be tested practically. i dont like being nervous and never having confidence in myself.. i feel like a fraud all the time and like maybe i should quit college and find something else to do - i don't ever believe i have any capabilities. i've never been able to get past it and i don't know why i didn't write to you before about it since its a big problem.. and i want to be confident and calm, and more secure..
please help :)

What you're describing sounds like a variety of Anxiety Disorder, with elements of Social Anxiety, and low self-confidence. I;m sure you are far more capable tham you feel you are. Do see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and a consideration of treatment, which may include medicaion and counselling. This is definitely treatable, and you ought to be able to be feeling a great deal more secure, setled, and confident, before long. Let us know how it goes.