Question

A good contraceptive
I got pregnant with my first born of 18 months now. Now i am due next month. I want information of good contraceptive as i used injections and pills but got ill and never have periods until i suspect am pregnant again.

Dear Hellen

I would strongly advise that you discuss the matter with your gynaecologist since there are several different types of contraceptive pills available which will certainly assure you of a normal period provide your general hormonal status is normal. The use of the Mirena, intrauterine contraceptive device can be considered although I am generally reluctant to introduce this method with you only having had one child thus far. The use of the transdermal skin patch as a contraceptive maybe also considered since it is a more easy method of contraception and ensures patient compliance.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim