Question

abdominal water retention or dropsy or buikwater
Hi, my mother of 90 has a fracture hip after which she has had a number of strokes. her abdomen has swollen terribly and last night water came out of her nose and mouth. she is on 40mg lasix but i want information as to what to do. her chest is very crackly. please help me.
HeartDoc

Dear Jean,

It sounds as though your mother is in acute heart failure. The fluid you are seeing is probably due to the build-up of fluid in her lungs. This happens when the heart can no longer effectively pump the blood around the circulation. The crackly sounds you hear in her chest are also due to the fluid collecting in her lungs. Lung tissue should be dry, like a squeezed-out sponge. In heart failure, the lungs become soggy, like a saturated sponge.

Lasix is a diuretic used to help the kidneys excrete fluid, to try to decrease the load on the heart. In her case, the dose may not be enough. Also, she may need medication to improve her heart function as well. If she has acute heart failure, she may also have developed leaky heart valves due to the dilatation of her heart.

But please bear in mind that your Mom is in a risky situation with all that has happened to her, and there may be reasons why some of these medications cannot be used for her. If she has had several strokes, she may not be able to respond to the medication, leaving the Lasix as her only option for now.

Please discuss with her doctors the possibility of increasing the dose of her Lasix, but remember that her doctor is the best person to judge whether this should be done, as he knows all the relevant clinical details about your Mom, which I don’t.

I wish you well, and hope your Mom responds well to her treatment.

HeartDoc