Question

ABUSIVE SELFD DESTRUCTIVE BROTHER IN LAW
I just got the most horrific phone call from my youngest sister informing me that my brother in law has hit my eldest sister two weeks ago for the first time and then the past weekend he took his fathers gun and went outside the house and wanted to shoot himself but only fired a shot and did not shoot himself. He is a policeman whose service gun has been taken away from him almost a year ago as that time he wanted to shoot her and the children. Things were going then good then bad again but this was now the worst. She is so scared of him as he has mentally abused her so badly already and now he has started physically as well. I am sitting in PE and she is up in JHB. I feel so terrible as there is almost nothing I can do. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such problems are awfully common in our country, especially among policemen, it seems. And why was his father's gun accessable to him, and not lucked in a gun safe ? It is shocking if he was in such a crisis a year ago and then had his gun taken from him, that he was given it back and without proper follow-up to check that he remained well. She should call POWA an organization especially aimed at helping abused women to find the safest way to escape from such situations ; and should then also call whoever investigated and dealt with the problem a year ago, within the police, to get them to intervene again.