Question

Acupuncture for megrain
I (26) have suffered of megrains the past 4 years, but lately it has worsened. The docters have blaimed my underactive thyroid, extremely low blood pressure and low iron levels. I am sick and tired of taking pills the whole time, are so afraid that I would become addicted.

Will acupuncture help? And where can I contact one in cape town. I do not have a medical aid.
Headache expert
Headache expert

Dear Desperate,

If your underactive thyroid, low blood pressure, and low iron levels are being successfully treated, and the headaches persist, then one must assume that they are not related to the headache.

With regard to acupuncture, some people certainly do benefit, but usually more in the short term. I am sorry I don’t know any acupuncturists in Cape Town, but you should find them listed in the yellow pages. Alternately, if you go to your nearest health shop, they will probably know of someone.