Question

addicted to food
Dear doc, I''m addicted to food. As plain and simple as that. I don''t smoke, I''ve never used drugs, and very rarely drink a glass of wine and has never been drunk, and therefore don''t know what it''s like to have an addiction for these things. But I know my relation to food is that of addiction. And there are no rehabilitation centres for this. I''ve been for counselling but it served no purpose. If I were alone I could''ve banned certain foodstuffs from my home (even basic things like bread and cheese), but with children it''s not possible (I''m a widow with 2 pre-teens). After they''ve gone to bed, I will almost clean the cupboards. If something is not there (eg. crisps, packet of cookies) I will not make an effort to go and buy it, but if it''s there I won''t stop until I''ve finished the packet. I know it would not make sense to anyone, as probably other addictions didn''t make sense to me before, but I simply cannot help myself. I would eat " through"  a full stomach, even though my body may not be hungry, my addiction tells me I should keep on eating. Therefore my absolute belief that I''m a food addict. Is this not the problem with many other women too? And is there a " rehabilitation"  programme one can follow?

Dear Retha
Your addiction to food has a psychological basis, you are eating or addicted to food because of a lack in other parts of your life thus you seek comfort in food. If you received psychological counselling in the past and this did not work, I would urge you to contact one of the eating disorder centres in SA. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
You can also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.