Ask an expert

28 Nov 2012

ADHD, ODD and Conduct Disorder
Could you please help me to help my son of 11 years old with the abovementioned. I have had him to every psychiatrist and still nobody can help him. I''ve also applied for admission to Boys Town, but he was not accepted and their reason is that he must be in a more contained facility. Is there Pediatric Neurologists in George where I can take him to?
Answer 299 views

01 Jan 0001

Frankly, I don't know whether there is a Paediatric Neurologist in George ( there's no real way I could find out ) but your GP or local clinioc should know if there is one. I'd guess not, as they're pretty rare creatures, and in order to keep fully occupied, they are generally based in one of the larger centres.
You dont in your message actually describe what your son's problems are, only the confusing number of diagnoses he has received. Who gave these diagnoses ? GPs ? Paediatricians ? Is there a Child Psychiatrist or Child Psychologist in George or within reach ( these could be useful asessments and advisors ).
You dont mention what if any treatments, medicine and psychologicalm hwe has received so far, and with what effects.
If BOys Town feels he needs a more secure facility, presumably the main concern is very highly difficult and challenging behaviour. Here again, as there's no reason top assume a neurological ( brain damage or disease ) problem at the base of this, a Paediatric Neurologist may not be what you really need.
Secure and skilled psychiatric or paediatric inpatient facilities are not common in SA as a whole, and again are more likely to be found in the major centres.
But moving the boy into such a facility sounds rather like giving up ( though I can understand that you might indeed feel defeated by the problems you have been struggling with ) so again I'd emphasize the need for a full assessment and discussion with a good child psychiatrist and child psychologist before deciding on what further treatment, and where, is needed.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.