Question

Adoption
Dear Doc

I've exhausted the fertility route and am now looking at adoption. I would like to adopt internationally - but cannot find any agencies that deal with international adoption. I live in the Eastern Cape - in the middle of nowhere - and social workers and adoption agencies seem to be non existent. I have tried contaction social workers but I haven't had any joy. Do you perhaps have telephone numbers or email addresses of any agencies that organize international adoptions. I thank you in advance.

Mary, adopting a child is a very emotional thing and not something you should do without the support of your family and your doctor (if you have a good relationship with him). Adopting a child from overseas is even more tricky, but it can be done. I have a patient who adopted a lovely girl from Russia and I’ll contact them in the morning and find out if the still have the contact details of the people that helped them Be prepared to pay a lot of money and to wait 6-9 months. Good luck.
PS Please repost your question as a reminder if I don’t get back to you by Tuesday and/or send an e-mail to CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.