Ask an expert

28 Jan 2003

Advice for my back surgery, please
Dear Doctor,

I have to undergo anterior/posterior lumbar fusion on the L4-S1 levels. The doctor wants to insert a cage anteriorly, and then to insert pedicle screws posteriorly.

Is an Orthopaedic surgeon qualified to do this, or do I need a Neurosurgeon to be there as well.

Please help as I understand that this is a big op.

Answer 389 views

01 Jan 0001

Dee, I suppose an orthopaedic surgeon is enough, but if I were you, I would also feel more comfortable with the second opinion of a neurosurgeon. It can’t do any harm to consult a neurosurgeon before the operation. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.