Question

Advice on Foods to help constant bloatedness
Dear Doc

I am 27 yrs of age and have not eaten red meat since a teenager. I have always been constipated from early childhood and still experience it even now. I was placed on Zelnorm last year for a period of 12 weeks. This did help at the time. When I completed the dose,I found that whatever I did eat would just swell my lower abdomen. I have always preferred eating raw vegetables and fruit and found that I could not even eat the lightest of meals without feeling extremely bloated. The bloatedness would last for days on end. I actually don’t eat much now. The only vitamin I am on is barley green tablets.My energy levels are quite low at the moment and I am feeling extremely exhausted and I know my diet is to blame. What foods can you recommend I eat to get my system in working order again? I would also appreciate if you could advise on herbs that could boost the energy levels and help the digestive system.

Thanks s much
J

Dear J
I think you need to have a complete medical checkup to determine if you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or food sensitivity (which could be causing the bloating and constipation) and/or anaemia due to iron and/or vit B12 deficiencies (due to not eating red meat), which may be causing your tiredness. Once you have a diagnosis, I would strongly suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a diet that either treats IBS or food sensitivity and/or anaemia. If you are anaemic this would account for the tiredness and lack of energy and it would need to be treated with iron/vit B12 supplements. I cannot comment on herbs as I am not a herbologist.