Ask an expert

30 Jul 2007

Advice Please
Hi Doc,

I was a victim of incest child abuse at the age of 10. At the time my brother who sexually abused me threated my life if I told anybody and I kept this within myself for the past 15 years. He is four years older than me.

I have suffered with panic attacks and severe anxiety for the past four months which I believe is linked to my traumatic past as well as other problems. I told my mother recently of the incident and she is just turning a blind eye to it. I have always been an anxious person for as long as I can remember due to the past.

Do I need to consult a Phsycologist to help me deal with the problems?

Many thanks

Answer 401 views

01 Jan 0001

Your symptoms MIGHt be related to your earlier trauma, though such problems are not an inevitable consequence of such trauma, and are also commonly occurring even in people who had a happy childhood. What matters is to choose the best treatment --- see a good local shrink for a proper and full assessment, and deal with the panic attacks and anxiety with medication AND CBT-style counselling, and any other concerns relating to the experience of abuse, with the CBT counselling. You CAn get through this and free yourself from any oll-effects you may have experienced, and don't need to do so by lengthy counselling that has you focussing on the abuse itself. Its your consdition now that needs revising.
Sadly, mothers who turned a blind eye to such events, are usually very loathe to consider that it might have happened ; fortunately, her acknowledgement of it isn't ncessary for you to make progress
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.