Question

Afraid of physical contact
I''ve had low self-esteem since I was in primary school. I was bullied by boys in my class at age 11, and had to go through high school with them as well (although the bullying stopped when I was 12). I am now in my early 20s and still suffer from a degree of self-hatred because I am oerweight.

While I am definitely heterosexual and attracted to men, I feel extremely uncomfortable about the thought of having any physical contact with them. I have danced with guys in clubs, have no problem hugging my guy friends, but I cannot bring myself to kiss a guy and I don''t see how I can ever have a relationship without overcoming this problem.

Is this a problem other people have? And how can I overcome it?!
sexologist

Dear Tasha,

I can confidently tell you that your problem is not unique to yourself. There are many who have had and are having very similar challenges as you have descrobed.

You have clearly described the source and the nature of your challenge. That is half the battle already won. It often taked people a long term to develop just that insight.

In this forum I would not have the space and it would not be possible to address how you could work on improving your self-esteem and on learning to value and celebrate your body, your sensuality and sexuality which would open you up to the possibility of sharing yourself with another comfortably, confidently and with excitement.

Considering doing some counselling in this regard would be my best advice.