Question

AGGRESSION TOWARDS CHILD
Please help me to help a mother who constantly shouts at her 5yr old daughter. I feel as though she is always putting the child down.
The mother was on drugs a while ago and I don''t know if that is the cause.

It''s difficult to ascertain whether she still takes drugs but this weekend she woke up with a very bad headache and was sweating - she said she had a fever and has the flu. But i''f one is so sick why would you be screaming at the child.

They live with me and I have told her to stop speaking to the child in that manner because that is how the child will speak to her eventually. How else can I tackle this problem.

Well, obviously, the mother having been on drugs is highly significant. She may have the flu, or be experiencing withdrawal from one or more of the drugs she usually takes, making her flu-ey and irritable. None of this of course justifies her screaming at her child. No drug addict is able to be a good mother, and some are atrocious mothers. Their allegiance is to the drug more than to any other human, child or otherwise.
Yo haven't explained why she is living with you, or under what agreed conditions ( I would never allow any drug addict who was still even potentially still consuming drugs, to live with me. Maybe child welfare ought to look into the best interests of the child, and the mother should promptly get into rehab, either provitely or through some state facility. There is no possible benefit for her to be encouraged or enabled to continue indulging her addictions.