Question

AI success but bleeding for 13 days?
AI done 22.03.07 on 3.03.07 i started spotting on 05.03.07 started menstruating very brown and later turned red. Blood test showed positive preg. and progestrone 198%. Went in for a scan 8.03.07 showed a cyst & dr said that is why i was bleeding. 12.03.07 bleeding worse was put on 4 days bed rest for threatning miscarrage. Blood test on 15.03.07 showed progestrone down to 58%. Now on Gestrone injections. I am so confused. I leave messages for Dr to phone me but i only get a call from his sister. I have a burning (alot of heat) in my lower back area I am still bleeding and only have discomfort in the abdominal area. What is the appropriate steps? Am I just being paranoid? Would i show a positive pregnancy if something is wrong? what can be going wrong?
fertility expert

Dear Vin

It is encouraging that there was a pregnancy to start with, but it appears that you are headed for a miscarriage. I would suggest another blood pregnancy test be done as soon as possible and to compare levels at regular intervals to decide whether the pregnancy (if positive) is progressing normally or not. Occasionally in a stimulated AI cycle the possibility of multiple pregnancies should be considered and in some cases due to the loss of one or two embryos a similar bleeding pattern may occur. Despite this I have encountered cases where a normal healthy pregnancy has continued to develop whilst simultaneously experiencing bleeding abnormalities.