Question

air in exercise
I have a strange and embarrasing question. When I do certain exercises, especially floor exercises where you would roll back, or kick your legs over your head, when I come back to starting position, I give a "fanny fart" Why is this- it seems that air is getting in there somehow!

Hi there

Having checked up on this query, it appears that this problem is more widespread than you might think.

Here is a fairly comprehensive explanation from one such search.

‘Farting’ noises from the vagina occur commonly whilst exercising when the bottom is higher than the shoulders. The noise is due to air that has entered the vagina passing out. It may be possible to stop the noises happening during exercise by using a tampon or sanitary pad to stop air entering the vagina. Tampons used in this way should be removed after exercising so that the vagina doesn’t dry out too much and let harmful bacteria cause problems.

Also make sure that your pelvic floor muscles are well toned. These are the muscles that loop round the vagina, the urethra (the tube that runs from the bladder to the outside that urine passes through) and the anus. You can tighten them by pretending that you are trying to stop passing urine - pull up slowly to a count of 5, hold for a further 5 counts, then gently relax again. Repeat this at least 20 times a day, and you should feel a benefit after a few weeks. It is important to continue with these exercises throughout your life to keep them firm.

I hope this helps.