Question

Alcohol - Problem?
Hi CS, I hope you're doing well?

Lately I've noticed that I've been having severe (such a harsh word) reaction to alcohol any time I have it. Because I don't consume alcohol often, I thought that maybe that was the reason, but I'm starting to worrry. When I say not often, I mean having a drink or more once every 2 weeks.

This week has been more than usual, but my reaction has been consistent for perhaps the past five times.

I used to abuse alcohol to help me sleep, and "make me feel better" when all it actually did was make my moods worse.

When I prescribed anti depressants, I completely stopped taking alcohol. I've been off the meds for a year, and have been fine until recently.

I don't like the taste of alcohol at all, and don't use it as a coping mechanism anymore. The past 5 times that I can remember taking alcohol were under social conditions, have included me ending up with my head in the toilet and feeling terrible for days on end. I don't understand, because I don't think I've abused it, but yet, the outcome is the same. The only connection I can make is that I had a huge meal each time. It happened this evening again - I went for a late lunch with my friends, and after our huge meal, we'd had 2 glasses - they had three, but I was already battling to finish number 2 - of wine. So in total it was 3, beacuse I'd had one before, and it lasted during the meal.

In all the recent cases, the situation is similar regarding the drink(s), a huge meal, and I end up being sick sometime during the evening.

I'm scared that perhaps I'm overdoing it, and denying it to myself...but I don't think I am. I know there was a time that I did, and I know I can't stand the taste of alcohol, so would not abuse it intentionally (I think?)

Do you think there is a problem?

Well, for a start, whatever the reason for this alcohol intolerance, obviously the first step is simply to avoid alcohol from now on. A huge meal, depending on the contents, could in itself make one feel queasy. Antidepressants don't combine well with alcohol, and tend to both work less well with such a combo, and to make one far more drunk than usual --- but if you have been off Ads for a year or so, they shouldn't be having any relevant impact here. You are describing a problem, whatever the asue, and a degree of Alcohol intolerance that, as Joey points out, will fortunately make it far easier for you to abstain, and wise to do so