Ask an expert

28 Oct 2006

My husband grew up in a home with both parents being alcoholics. Today he has a problem with alcohol. Since our son turned 3 months, his drinking started to get out of control. he'll go out 2/3 nights a week to the local club, and will stay there until 03:30 am. the other nights of the week he goes drinking until about 20:00 pm. Then still comes home and drinks. It's causing problems in our marriage, his work, and himself emotionally. He admits he has a problem, but doesn't know how to stop it. He begging me for help, what am I meant to do? how can I help him? His parents still drink, and constanly cause problems in our lives (especially now that we have a son - I don't allow them to drink/ come over to visit when they've been drinking). My husband is the one they turn to, for emotional and finanial help, since the age of 16 he's helped support them. My husband never cries, today he did, when he begged me to help him. Please tell me how I can help him?
Answer 364 views

01 Jan 0001

He's an alcoholic, at the very least a serious problem drinker, and needs help. He doesn't have to "know" how to stop it all on his own, but just to recognize that it is a real and urgent problem for which he needs help --- to see a good local shrink, rehab program, and AA. You cannot possibly treat his alcoholism, but you can provide very valuable encouragement and support, to help him get into treatment with the right experts, and to keep to it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18774 votes