Question

All fish good or not?
Doc

I'mtrying to lose weight so I've cut red meat out of my diet and now only eat fish and chicken. I'm concerned that some fish may be as fatty (or fattening) as meat - if so, which fish should I avoid and whats the best way to prepare it?

Dear Trevor
Certain types of fish do have a higher fat content (sardines, mackerel, snoek, tuna), But these fish are also excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, so I would like to suggest that you still include them in your diet, but eat small portions. Hake and sole have a very low fat content and as long as you use methods of preparation that do not add large quantities of fat (use steaming, baked in casseroles, grilling and even frying in a nonstick pan with Cook & Spray), they will not add much fat to the diet. Use herbs, spices, lemon juice, tomato, onions, mushrooms and other vegetables to add colour and taste to these low-fat fish) While you are slimming it is best to avoid seafood such as shrimps, oysters, prawns, fish roe and extremely fatty fish like butterfish. If you use canned tuna, buy the variety that is canned in water, not oil.
Enjoy!