Question

Allergic Reaction to Clopamon
HI Doc

I am hoping you can clear up a few things for me. The other day I had an allergic reaction to clopamon. I never knew I was allergic to it but one night my face started pulling to one side and my eyes were rolling into the back of my head. My husband rushed me to the hospital after getting an injection the Doc said I am allergic to clopamon some of the medication I got for the flu I had. I now have to get a medical allert braclet. I would like to find out more about clopamon and if there is anything in clopamon that can be in another tablet also what can happen if I don't get to the doc in time and I am having a allergic reaction. Because I am scared that it happens again. It was really scary! Is there maybe a website I can go to do research.

Thanks in advance
Lisa

Lisa, it sounds more like an increased susceptibility to the side effects (extrapyramidal symptoms) of metoclopramide than a true allergy – in other words I doubt that your lungs will “close up” and you will die. That said, it is still a very unpleasant thing to happen and the best would be to treat it as a true allergy. Good luck.