Question

Allergy
Hi Cyberdoc, hope you are well and thanks for all your valuable advice.

I was wondering if you could please help me. My husband has been breaking out with allergy (hive like), for just about the last 2 months now after eating just about anything. He''s been to the doctore twice and on both occasions the doctor said it was very likely caused by preservative in the food. So we tried fresh veggies for a while still the same problem. It flares up more badly when he eats meat though and more often in the evenings. We thought an allergy test would help but they need to know what to test for and the doctor said it''s to vast and it wont help. This allergic reaction was very sudden and never ever happened before.
Cyberdoc

Hallo Krystal
Usually food related hives are quite specific like nuts/ kiwifruit/ tomatoes/ citrus/ seafood/ eggs. He may have an allergy to something non-food related or to an ingredient in condiments like aromat/braai salt etc. (think of iodene in iodene enhanced salt for instance)
(see http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/urticaria.html)
It may help if he takes a long acting antihistamine preventatively for a while ( e.g. Zyrtec or Clarityne)
If it persists I suggest he sees a dermatologist for further testing.