Question

Allergy eyes
I have suffered for many years with allergy eyes. It seems to be getting worse, and I've tried everything from homeopathic meds to Opthalmologists and cortisone eye drops (which I don't want to take permanently). All medication only offers temporary relief, and we there is a particularly windy day, or when I'm exposed to a new environment (holidays, etc) my allergies really flare up. I've been diagnosed with chronic allergies. Do you have any suggestions for a miracle cure? I've heard wearing non-prescription contact lenses may help?

Dear Desperate
Non prescription soft contact lenses may cover a part of the eye that would have had contact with allergens, but do not cover the whole eye - it can also lead to dryness and irritation so would not be my first choice. Have you tried taking a long acting antihistamine tablet like zyrtec or loratidine at night? Another option is to take a mast cell stabilizer eyedrop like Cromohexal preventatively and use your cortisone only for flare ups.