Ask an expert

29 Jun 2011

Allergy testing
where can i go for comprehensive allergy/intolerance testing (PTA), not protein test from GP/physian?
Answer 396 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Gadihele
Your gp should be able to arrange that you can have all the relevant allergy/intolerance tests done at a medical laboratory like Ampath, etc. To determine food intolerances, you may find that a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), will be able to assist you with elimination diets, if this should be necessary. So ask your gp to send you to a path lab for the allergy tests and consult a dietitian about the use of elimination diets to determine food intolerance. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies and who to see in your area for comprehensive testing.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18743 votes