Question

Alternative to Beta-Blockers
Hi Dr, My 6 year old has just beein diagnosed with Barlows syndrome. Symptoms are paplpitations 3 - 4 times a week for 15 to 20 sec per event.

Are beta-stoppers needed now? Is there a natural, vitamin, mineral supliment that could assist whilst the condition is still not that bad.

Looking forward to your responce.
Telana
HeartDoc

Dear Telana,

The diagnosis of Barlow’s in such a young child is very unusual. As s/he also has a rhythm irregularity, it is most important that an accurate diagnosis is made.

Please remember that heart problems in children are totally different from those in adults : from the cardiac viewpoint, children are not just “small adults”. They have a totally different range of disorders, need different investigations, are treated differently and can have very different outcomes. For all these reasons, I hope that your child has been diagnosed not just by a specialist cardiologist, but by a Paediatric Cardiologist. There are not many in private practice, but you will find one in the Paediatric department of most large state hospitals.

Whilst I am not qualified to give a definitive opinion on paediatric heart problems, I can say this much : Make sure that the diagnosis is correct, and has been made by a Paediatric cardiologist, - go to one for a real expert’s opinion. The condition may not be a Barlow’s, but could be a true leaking valve, in which case the management is totally different. But to make that diagnosis takes a very special kind of expertise, which adult cardiologists do not have.

There are no natural supplements etc which can be used here, as this is not a problem with function, but an anatomical, structural problem. Some medication can be used to control the heart rhythm in adults, but I do not know what the position is for a 6-year old : - many of these medications have side-effects which make them unsafe to use in children.

I wish you good luck in investigating this problem – I hope your child is helped soon.

HeartDoc