Question

Am getting stupid, shallow and missing time
Over the past 3 months I have noticed I have become increasingly stupider and am not able to think any deep thoughts. I struggle to understand concepts and theories which came naturally to me previously. I sit and listen to speeches or talks or even just playing computer games, watching tv or even shopping - and get this weird time-warp feeling. I just drift away - and then suddenly 'come back' - I know that I have been drifting - but can't explain how it happened and it's not like a daydream where you sort-off know that you have been thinking about something!. Almost like fainting??? This all started when I took antidepressants last year for a mild depression (dysthemia). I felt so much better that I stopped taking them at the end of last year. I only took them for about 4 months. The first few weeks of taking them - I frequently 'warped-out' for several hours and started feeling really numb and primal.

I know all this sounds really mental and weird - but it's quite worrying when your brain is not working as it used to - and I'm only 24 now - what 's going to happen when I'm 50??? Will this maybe wear off? Should I see a doctor? I had a health check-up a month ago - and am in good health. Please help! I lost it even while writing this e-mail!

Dear Hardly Braindead,
I'm guessing that the diagnosis of dysthymia, and the brief treatment with antidepressants, was made and prescibed by your GP ? Occasionally people do react oddly to various antidepressants ( as they can to a wide range of other drugs, including antibiotics ) ; but one would expect the effects of such medication to wear off after a month or two.
There are quite a range of other possible causes for the bothersome sort of symptoms you describe, including some minor varieties of epilepsy and narcolepsy. Best plan would be to see a psychiatrist for a comprehensive examination and assessment, just to check on a range of possibilities, and to clarify what the matter is, and how best to deal with it.
After that --- do return to the Forum and post a fresh message, and let us know what he/she finds and recommends.