Question

Am i depressed?
Hi Cyberdoc

Ths is the first time i am posting here.

I am married 5 years and we were dating for 5 years before that. Since marriage, things have been tricky. We moved to London 1 and half yrs ago from jhb and have started a new life here. While its been good and i have a job i enjoy, i do feel a little lonely at times and miss my family n friends in SA. We have also been trying to fall pregnant for the past 3 years and havent been successful. Everything takes its toll i guess.

I'm generally a happy and optimistic person, but now and then i go into a rut, when i question everything....like why us, why cant we fall pregnant? And also i feel very neglected by my hubby. I question his love for me. My birthday just passed and i am the type who loves birthdays and presents and he just gave me a card and no present. I would have been happy with even the smallest present, just knowing he went out and bought it for me. And he knows how i love all that. It just makes me think....he never surprises me or does special things...i always book holidays or decide when we go out for dinner. It gets tiring and monotonous, to come home everyday and cook, eat n sleep. He works till late so i sit around waiting for him and then he doesnt share any stories of his day with me....

I feel neglected, sad ( not to fall pregnant ) and isolated. Is this depression? How do i deal with it? It comes and goes, but most of the time i act happy for the world, but inside i'm very sad.

Pls help me make sense of this.

Thanks,
nikki

Hello and welcome, Nikki,
From the sound of it, seeing a good liocal counsellor would be a good idea, to clarify your expectations and plans, and to learn how to cope better --- and how to encourage your husband to treat you more the way you'd enjoy ( marriage counsellign could also be handy here ). I think what you are describing, unpleasant though it must feel, is probably disappointment rather than strict Depression.