Question

28 Oct 2009

Am i normal?
im starting to worry

i stopped birth conrtol on 21/03/2009 and im still not pregnant.

i was on the nur-isterate injection for 5 years or so and im really worried that i am infertile.

The first 3 months after stopping the pill my cycle was regular - 26 days.

after that it went to 28 days for a few months, then last month it came 4 days early at 24-25 days?!

today i have a think white sticky discharge (last period started on 10/10/2009 ended on 13/10/09 - it was very heavy) so now i dont know if this means im ovulating? or that my period is about to arrive or what?

what would you suggest?

Dear Ella

It takes an average between 3 and 6 months for the injectable form of contraception to wear out of your body, during this period of time your periods may be irregular. You should only worry after a year of stopping contraception and still not conceiving as to possible causes of not falling pregnant. In your particular case, if you have just stopped the contraception on the 21/03/09 then at the earliest your ovulation should start approximately 3 months later which is June 2009, so if you have not conceived by around June 2010 then only should you start worrying.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo