Question

Amaranth Sources
I am wheat and lactose intolerant and have been told that amaranth is a good wheat substitute. I however have not been able to find a supplier in the Durban area. Do you have any information the availability thereof in Durban.

Dear Reshma
I really don't know who would supply this product, but would suggest that you phone the various health shops in Durban and make quite sure that one can eat it! According to my encyclopaedia amaranth plants include flowers such as love-lies-bleeding and I am not certain that they are edible - phone the Botany Dept at Durban university and check it out before you eat it . You can also eat rye, rice and millet instead of wheat and use soy milk (look in supermarkets for Sofresh long-life soy milk).