Question

Amniotic Bands

My wife is 21 weeks pregnant with our 2nd baby and she was diagnosed last week with "Amniotic Bands." The specialist that we were referred to says that there is nothing we can do and we must just wait and see and hopefully baby will be fine! At the moment, the baby looks perfect and we have had a couple of extensive scans in the past few days.

After an extensive search on the internet, I have seen all the horror stories etc, but am also more convinced that it is not "Amniotic Bands" but rather "Amniotic Folds" that she has as it looks like a piece of material floating in the fluid on the scan, rather than a collection of shoe laces.

1. What is the difference between the 2?
2. Is there anything that we can do to reduce the risk of damage to the baby?
3. We feel so helpless, is there anything we need to find out?

Please help.

Phil
momentum expert

Dear Phil
I think amniotic folds do not stretch into the amniotic cavity where amniotic bands do. 70% of amniotic bands disappear by itself. If the baby's movements are normal on sonar, and the band is not attached to the baby, there seems to be little risk. I don't think you as parents can do anything except go for regular follow-up sonars. I think they can do an operation and loosen the bands if really a danger to the baby.