Question

Amputation
Hi Good Doctor

I had an above right leg amputation, I use artificial leg and cruches life change for ever, I have been working for 5 years with the same company but they do not give a chance for promotion because I am disable, they think that I must accept and be greatful for the job, they promote and bring in new people with no experience or qualition and ask me the train them and then they because my bosses. I would like to have a boyfriend but it is difficult to get one, were do I socialise, I am so lonely. Been mocked by my friend. I love babies, since all friend of my age group have children when I tried to play with their kids they do want me to touch for which reason I do not know, some that are maried do not want me closer to their husband, they think I am a treat now that I have left all of them I am lonely, so lonely Please help before I do something wrong.

Thank you
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I am sorry to learn about all the problems you are experiencing but I think it is time for you to take action, in order to better your life. Although you are an amputee, you still deserve and can have a wonderful life.

I suggest the following:

* Make an appointment with your Human Resources Relations Manager or your immediate Manager and tell him/her that you feel you are ready for a promotion. If he/she does not agree, ask him/her what skills/qualifications they feel you are lacking and what other expectations you should meet, before you can be promoted. Get this in writing and work towards those goals. Once it is met, make another appointment.
* Calmly talk to your friends about how they are treating you and how it makes you feel. Abled people are normally misinformed about disabilities and have the wrong impression. Maybe they are also scared to talk to you, as they do not want to hurt your feelings. This way nobody will have to quess about anything.
* Start with a hobby, like pottery classes, photography etc. This way you will meet new people and might even meet that special person you are longing for.

I am not sure what you are referring to, when you say "before you are doing something wrong" but if you are thinking about taking your own life, please do not let this be an option. There is still a lot to live for. Take Oscar Pistorius, who is a double amputee and people right across the globe are looking up to him and are amazed about what he has achieved as an athlete.

Good luck and please do not hesitate to contact me, should you require more assistance or guidance.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger