Question

Anaesthetic for keyhole surgery? General, Epidural or local (ice)?
Good Day

I have to make a decision soon about whether or not I want to have key-hole surgery to drain a functional, benign cyst. The only symptom I have is menstrual irregularity.

I would like to know whether key-hole surgery for a small (4cm) ovarian cyst MUST always be done under general anaesthetic. (Fifteen years ago I had a cone biopsy under LOCAL anaesthetic and was perfectly fine during the laser surgery procedure).

I would prefer to have a local anaesthetic (or even ice) because I do not want to wake up to find that MORE than just my ovary has been removed.

What are my options?

Annelize

Unfortunately, a local anaesthetic will not be sufficient for pain relief during the operation and I rather suggest that you opt for an epidural anaesthetic during which you will be awake and aware of your surroundings.