Question

Anemic
Hi! I went to Mayo Clinic last month, and got a phone call yesterday about needing to see my PCP pretty soon, before I went back to Mayo on the 27th of this month, because I was anemic. Well, I went to the PCP, and he told me that the anemia wasn't to bad, so he didn't recommend doing anything for it. I don't have much faith in this doctor. After I told him that I wanted to take care of it, as I think that a lot of my symptoms could be being caused by it. I am always really tired, but can't sleep much at night. I am always freezing cold. I get a ton of migraines. I have been having a lot of dizzy spells. I thought it could be the Elavil that I was on, and might still be. I have so many health problems it isn't even funny, but at this point, all doctors have been doing is treating the symptoms, which is not fun, and requires a ton of medication. Well, the doctor told me to take Iron Sulfate tablets 325 mg 2 times a day. If he said that it wasn't that bad, then why is he telling me to take it twice a day, especially considering that it apparently wasn't that bad in the first place? Also, he told me that if I was going to take care of the anemia, I might as well take care of my cholesterol too. He said that it was 108. Since I am diabetic it is a little bit high, but but if I wasn't then it would be really good. He wants to put me on a medication for that, which he said would probably end up making my liver bad. I don't want to ruin one of the organs that is actually functioning properly, especially if I can just change my diet around. I have been modifying my diet a great deal in the past two weeks in order to make it much healthier. I think that in a short period of time, it can fix the cholesterol problem. Do you have any advice? This same doctor has always just kept prescribing morphine for everything as well, which is what prompted my loss of trust in him, but I am in an area where good doctors are really hard to find. I went in for a migraine a few weeks ago, and he told me to take Frova, Morphine, and a sleeping pill all at the same time. If I didn't go to sleep within two hours, he wanted me to try all three again. I didn't think it was a wise idea, so didn't do it, but had to do something a week later, when the migraine still hadn't gone away. Now I am on Fiorinal with Codiene #3, but can't take it all the time, because I am on Tylenol 4 for back pain, which is unexplained as of yet. I am totally clueless as to what is going on with my body, and also as to what to do about my doctor. I am only in town for another month, and then, after I am through with going to Mayo (for my follow up, and consultation with all of specialists I am to see, 5 in total), I am planning on moving to Tennessee to live with an aunt. I am just so ready to give up, and I have become extremely depressed, and also, very hopeless. I am recieving no support from my parents. They yell at me for seeing the doctor, and laugh at me when my bills come in, asking how i expect to pay for them, as I only can work for about 9 hours a week due to the pain level I am in. I don't know what to do. I am very limited, so I don't understand. I am 21 years old (tomorrow), and this is no way to live. I have recently become extremely depressed and at certain times suicidal. What can I do for these many issues?

Dear Daisy
It sounds as you need to get a good generalist doctor that will be able to take control of your all medical problems, maybe you should ask your Aunt to find out if there is a good family physician in the area where you are going to live . Many of your problems could be caused by polipharmacy ( taking too many different medicines at the same time) and I really think someone should review all the medication you are taking with your symptoms. Specialists tend to just concentrate on their little area of specialiality/interest.