Question

Ankle Injury
I hope you can help me. I went to a step class exactly a week ago, and with a few short lapses, managed to keep pace quite well with the class instructor. After class, I noticed a slight discomfort in my ankle when I walked. The following day, the discomfort was a bit more distinguished, but I thought it was hurting because I was wearing heels. However, during the course of the week it started paining, so much that I couldn't gym at all, and I wasn't wearing heels because I would never survive it at work. Last night I noticed that my ankle is swollen, and the pain has extended from my ankle to my knee, especially the back of the knee, and is moving upper all the time. Please advise what I should do because it doesn't sem to get any better. I can walk, but it's painful, and as I said, it didnt start during the class, only afterwards. And I cannot think that I injured myself at all then.

Hi Qanita

It's quite possible you overextended yourself during that gym class a week ago - it's not unheard of that an injury is picked up and not noticed, because remember, you're warmed up, the blood is flowing, your body produces natural pain killers, a bit of adrenaline and you never notice the pain, until the next day. So in a step class, there's quite a high possibility of causing some sort of ankle injury, especially when you are fatigued.

Moving forward now, the swelling would certainly indicate that perhaps you have sprained or stretched some ligaments, and the inability to bear weight when walk is also suggestive of this. So what I would have to recommend is that you see a physio, because you need immediate treatment followed by exercises to regain the strength in the ankle. Unfortunately, this is the best option, because to begin with, you have get an accurate diagnosis, and then the rehab can begin