Question

Ankle pain
Hi Fitness Doc,
I am a 34 year old female, fairly fit - excersixe 6 times per week, both cardio and weights. I took a week off over the festive season and returned to gym about 2 weeks ago. For the past week or so, I have had a pain on the inner part of my left ankle, just a little higher than ankle bone protusion. I am naturally flat footed, and was wondering if this is the problem? I jog on the treadmill as part of my cardio training, usually for 20 minutes. I haven't done this for a couple of days due to the sore ankle. It hurts when I flex my foot and is if I press on the area, it causes considerable pain, shooting up to the knee. Despite this, I am still able to walk around, with only a small amount of discomfort. I use cross trainers when jogging and walking.
Do you have any suggestions as to what this could be, and is it worth spending the money on a doctor to get it checked out further?

HI Ajay

I definitely think it's worth following up on this. Whilst it might not be painful when walking, jogging places much more force on the bones and joints, hence your ankle is not tolerating this extra force, presumably due to some damage. Your flat feet might be aggravating the situation and perhaps your shoe type is not providing you with the right support. If you live in Cape Town, you could see one of our Sports Medicine Practitioners at the Sports Science Institute (ph: 021 659 5644). If you are from out of town, they can possibly refer you to the appropriate person in your area. But rather catch the problem early - so that you can rectify the cause now.

I hope this helps.