Question

ankle swells easily
My husband is a tall man, 50, who used to play basketball up to his 20's, when he had a nerve injury which left him with a little limp. He also had some foot surgery years ago, and was told there are some little heel bones which cracked and remain 'lose', but nothing else could be done about it.
His problem is that if he steps just a little badly, his ankle swells up painfully and it would take him a minimum of a week, but often longer, to get better.
Podiatrists have only adviced insteps in the past, but they do not get to the root of the problem. He does not suffer from gout nor arthritis.
I know some people bruise easily, for example, but his swelling does not seem right. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of his problem?
Thank you!
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

Dear Lily
Unfortunately I cannot really add to this. I do suggest that he does see an orthopaedic surgeon again who might be able to suggest futher steps.
Sorry!