Question

Another one :)
Good morning evryone, hope you're all doing well - we've landed ourselves another prejudiced visitor who kindly left his twisted visiting card - he sounds like a sour one but don't let him spoil our day. Here's his message:

Subject: RE: wonder net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Steven
Message:
The bible says that people of the same sex cannot have relationships. Who r we to say that this is right? The word of God says it is a big NO! And there is no such thing as a gay christian, no ways!!! We can only pray for these sick people. Remember that we all r made to the image of God. U can never be born gay! We can just pray for u guys.
Date: 23/11/2005
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Brad.

I'm not the right person to comment on religious matters (I personally think it arrogantly heterosexist of people to automatically assume that Jesus was straight - not that his sexual orientation should be an issue) but I personally know many gay Christians and there are many gay churches in South Africa. I also know that most Christians are reasonable, rational people and that our friend Steven presents his own radical, prejudiced views in the guise of twisted religion - he does not speak for or on behalf of Christianity.

Take a look at a very interesting article, entitled 'It is time for repentance' by David Russell (the retired Anglican Bishop of Grahamstown) on page 25 of this week's Mail & Guardian newspaper. Bishop Russell explains how, for centuries, the Christian church taught that slavery was "... a God-given fact of human life - part of God's order of creation..."

Thankfully the church's attitudes towards slavery have changed, and the church's attitudes towards homosexuality are also changing - slowly.

I hope Steven will read this article and reflect.