Question

Anovulation - PLSE Help
Hi. I took my first course of Fertomid from 4-8July (CD4-8).I have been having slight cramping in my lower abdomen the past fewe days.My dr gave me fertomid as I am TTC and according to my blood test - I''''m stuck between the ovulation &  lutheal phase of my cycle. my last cycle was 44 days!
i haven''''t notice any egg white mucus, only a milky white discharge in high volume the past 3 days(CD17-19). Does this mean I am ovulating? When can I take a pregnancy test? I usually have irregular periods, so don''''t know when to expect my period.
My dr also gave me primarin cream (estrogen) for vaginal dryness - know idea how much to use. Will this increase my chances of conceiving?

Dear Carol

The problem with using Fertomid and not combining this with either follicle tracking by ultrasound scans or by a more reliable and sensitive ovulation monitoring systems such as the urine LH testing kits (Clearplan etc.) would results in unnecessary speculation as to when ovulation is taking place. It is extremely important to realize that ovulation (the actual release of the egg) is a very short interval event and requires careful monitoring. The egg is “fertilizable” for a duration of 24 hours after which it undergoes degeneration and will not be of any use. Therefore the use of Fertomid or any ovulation induction agent for that matter requires full ovulation monitoring to improve the timing of intercourse or any other intervention such as intrauterine insemination. The fact that you have 44 days cycles implies a fairy resistant type of ovary and it would be sometimes necessary to increase the dose of Fertomid or add to the Fertomid ovulation induction injections and very careful monitoring may be necessary. However in the interim I would advise that a pregnancy test be taken anyway and should this be negative a visit to your fertility specialist or gynaecologist would be recommended.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim