Ask an expert

12 Nov 2004

What is an anthroscopy - is it a procedure to remove a build up of calcium in the "ball & socket" where the arm meets the shoulder?.

What are the symptoms of this problem ?
Answer 1,138 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Rob
An anthroscope is a little apparatus with a camera attached with wich a doctor can look into a joint cavity. It can be used on knees , elbows, shoulders etc. They can also use this apparatus to do surgery in the joint for instance to remove loose pieces of bone.
I think you might be referring to osteo arthritis where there is a lot of wear and tear on the joints and the " ball and socket joint" is not as well oiled as it used to be! They may be able to do something to it with an anthroscopy.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.