Question

Antibiotics and contraceptives
I am currently on Macrodantin for the treatment of chronic bladder infections (I went for the scope and full lab analysis of the urine) and I know that some antibiotics interfere with the uptake of contraceptives. I am currently on Triphasil and want to change to a new contraceptive. I've decided not to take the chance with the contraceptive and antibiotics, and as I have to take Macrodantin for at least 1 month, I have discontinued the use of Triphasil. I do experience some weight gain and nausea when starting with Triphasil, and would like to change to a new contraceptive. My question is this: will the Macrodantin affect the uptake of the contraceptive, and which contraceptive would be the better one to change to? I have already discontinued the Triphasil and realise that I will have to take it for 2 months again before it is effective on its own as contraceptive.

Sandra, I would go for a lower dose mono-phasic pill like Melodene® or an even lower dose pill like Minesse® or Mirelle®.
The safest would probably be to take extra precautions for the first 4 weeks of treatment with Macrodantin®. After 4 weeks you should be safe. Good luck.