Question

Anxiety
Hi there

Whats the difference between anxiety disorders, and just plain stress.?
I am quite an anxious person. I get stressed very easily, and often feel overwhelmed by difficult situations. I get very emotional, feeling like crying or actually crying. If i'm fighting with someone i will cry, especially when i'm feeling frustrated of angry, but not if i'm upset. But in situations where i'm supposed to cry, like when i'm upset, i cant.
I also have irritable bowl syndrome, so my tummy always gets upset, especially when i'm anxious or stressed. I went to the doc about it and she said i'll be fine if i take tablets for my tummy. so thats ok, but i can feel when i'm anxious i feel butterflies in my stomache, but badly, i actually cant sit still.
lately i've also been feeling like my throat is constricting. not like i cant breath, but it feels like something is swelling from the inside out. Am i just highly anxious, but stil "normal" or could i have a more serious problem. if you need more info i'll gladly answer your questions.

Dear mouse,
Stress is what happens to you, some external circumstance that puts you under strain ; and anxiety is how you feel when you get stressed. And quite a number of folks, like you, express some of the stress and anxiety they experience, through physical symptoms related to how the body reacts to the anxiety, like IBS, or that odd and alarming feeling in yourn throat. It is highly likely that there is something serious wrong with you physically, and the GP can check on that small possibility ; but it would be worth seeing a shrink, maybe a psychologist for counselling, to work on understanding and controlling the extent to which you get anxious when you meet situations that you find stressful, and also to improve your ability to handle such situations so that they may not even be stressful, eventually.