Question

Anxiety and depression
Dear Cybershrink and anyone else

I hope you would be able to assist me

I m currently 19wks pregnant, I m the type of person you get that stress about everything...and I mean STRESS like mad,, it actually leaves me shaky.. when I go for doctors appointments I stress like mad, in any given situation I m always straining my body by stressing so much...it s as if I bring it on to myself.. Now at the moment I m all stressed out about tests in pregnancy like HIV and downs sindrome.. My husband is the first person whom I had done the deed with.. before that I kissed a guy once or twice(which was a year ago) , and before that I was a blood donor, I think I donated about 7 or 8 times.. Im a very healthy person and feel good, even through my pregnancy I havnt experienced mornings sickness or any kind of really bad feelings.. just the occasional back aches.. however I don t know why I seem to be stressing about these tests at all ... Would I have noticed by now if had the virus ? I know I m sounding all paranoid, right now I m feeling terrible of all the anxiety and really just need some assistance, and reassurance. Is there anything I can take during pregnancy in order for me to not take everything so seriously... I feel like crying ! .. Don t know if its the emotional jitters of pregnancy causing me to act like this.. really feel awful.. Please help

You sound like a healthy person handling a pregnancy ( physically at least ) rather well. It sounds very highly unlikely that you would be HIV positive. But with the swirling hormones of pregnancy, people get more emotional and often more prone to get excessively worried, than usual. If pracical, it's worth avoiding medications during pregnancy, unless they are really essentuial --- better to look round for a CBT style counsellor to work with, as you could get most of these worries into perspective in a few sessions.