Question

Anxiety Attacks
I have my Driver's license, but I am terrified of getting behind the wheel. If I do, my palms get all sweaty and my neck breaks out in a nervous rash, I start shaking as well. The doctor said I need to see a shrink. How do I get over this fear.

Dear Claudia,
People can find they suffer from a wide variety of phobias and fears, which can be excellently treated by a shrink, both by psychologicalo therapies, to help one unlearn the fear and learn instead to be relaxed in the situations which have begun to get one far too tense ; and by a careful selection of medication to aid the relaxation, without making you drowsy ( which wouldn't help your driving skills ! ). One simple type of medication, for instance, is the family of drugs called Beta-Blockers, which, though they don't directly affect your state of mind, help to switch off the body's fear responses -- so they can cut out the trembling, sweatng, rapid pulse, and so on.