Question

Anxiety attacks
Hi cybershrink.

I am currently living with someone who often gets anxiety attacks. However I am not sure as what I should do when the person gets an anxiety attack. I have done basic first aid, and am considering doing more first aid courses, I have also googled anxiety attacks and what should be done. But different sites gave different advice and information on how to go about handling the situation. My question is what do I do when the person gets an anxiety attack that''s normal? And when the person gets an anxiety attack that is severe?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:

Firstly, maybe most important of all - don't panic, yourself ! Don't get alarmed and too anxious personally, as this only inflates his/her anxiety. A panic attack is unpleasant to experience, but fortunately, is not usually harmful. Just as your own anxiety can inflate his, so your own calmness and confidence can help to relieve his anxiety.
ANd the other important thing to do is to ensure that he gets proper treatment for his anxiety. Whether privately or from a provincial clinic, effecive treatment is available, both in terms of medication ( some for long-term benefits, some for more immediate relief ) and CBT style counselling, can help greatly.