Question

Anxiety / Depression
I have suffered from depression and noise related anxiety(any bass sounds eg footsteps on wooden floor, cars with loud music) since Feb 2004. I started with 60mg citalopram daily. I'm was down to 30mg within a year. I just can't lower the dosage more than that without an increase in anxiety. I was told it shouldn't take more than 18 months to come off the meds. It's been twice that now. What should I do?

If I were you, I'd see a different psychiatrist for a re-assessment and second opinion. 60 mg is a somewhat high dose of citalopram, and I gather it was effecgtive for you in suppressing the troublesome symptoms, but apparently not in ending the underlying problem ; which remains in abeyance at the more usual dosage of 30 mg, but, if I'm understanding you rightly, symptoms return on any lowering of this dose. I'd think, for instance, that ading proper CBT counselling would be likely to make a big difference and to help you regain personal control of these situations.