Question

anxiety in children
My son is 6 years old and has been diagnosed with over anxious disorder/ childhood anxiety. The paed prescribed Lorien to help him get it under controll. First day I was somewhat of a wreck- horrified at the idea of my six-year old having to take anti-depressants. I would like to hear from other parents who have young children on SSRI"  s

Such drugs should NEVER be prescribed for a child except by a qualified child psychiatrist ( never a GP ), and if this is done, that shrink's job was to fully explain the diagnosis and the treatments and drugs used. Its good for a paediatrician to identify psychiatric problems, but better for a child psychiatrist to confirm diagnosis and treatment, as detailed training in such diagnosis and treatment is not usually a part of the training of a paediatrician.